Pain Relief for Swollen Feet
Extended stints of walking or standing can lead to swollen feet and ankles. Although it is common for the swelling to dissipate once one is off their feet, that still doesn’t mean you can’t get unrelenting swelling which can lead to serious health hazards.
The swelling of the feet and ankle, or peripheral edema, is a build up of fluid that consists around the foot and ankle. Although the fluid itself causes no harm, it is the swelling that is the cause of the pain. This swelling can then infringe on one’s range of motion and their ability to walk with ease and fluidity.
Causes of Foot and Ankle Swelling:
- Long periods of standing or walking/running
- Excessive weight / obesity
- Staying in a position for long periods of time
- Venous insufficiency (lack of blood flow to feet)
- Blood clots
- Liver or kidney diseases
- Certain testosterone and or estrogen supplements
- Certain anti-depressants
- Blood pressure medications
- Certain steroid medications
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
At First Choice Health & Injury Clinic, our team of medical doctors, chiropractors, physical therapists and pain management specialists collaborate together to provide our patients with unparalleled care and pain relief treatments.
Tips to Relieve Swollen Feet and Ankles:
- Try to maintain a healthy weight and BMI (Body Mass Index)
- Exercise often to keep muscles limber and powerful
- Reduce the intake of salty foods
- Avoid restrictive or compressing clothing around the feet and ankles
- If swelling occurs, use ice to constrict blood flow and elevate the feet